75g demerara sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
110g butter or marg
110g self raising flour
110g porridge oats
50g dried apricots (I used dried cranberries and raisins so I would think almost any dried fruit would work
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (I used mixed seeds)
- Preheat oven to 160C(fan), 180C(conventional)
- Grease 2 baking trays
- Place sugar, syrup, fat in a pan, heat gently to melt the fat.
- mix remaining ingredients in a bowl, then pour this into the melted mixture and combine.
- Roll the mixture into 12 balls (I made about 18 out of it though, better bite size portions for the kids), place on baking sheet and flatten slightly as above pic.
- Bake for 12 - 15 mins until golden and crisp.
These were delicious and very popular in our house, they did not last long. Feels much better to give these to the kids than cookies from a packet and yes, while there is sugar in them, you feel a little better about the fact they are getting some lovely dried fruit in their system and goodness of some mixed seeds ("I thought only birds ate seeds Mummy?"). A recipe we will be repeating again very soon, a great one the kids can join in with too shaping the dough.